Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Head Shots w/ Natural Light + On Camera Flash.

Welcome to Calgary - a barren land stricken by salt, dirt, and a continual onslaught of freeze and thaw. Our unique weather patterns lend to a slushy, and downright dirty town. Outdoor shoots become difficult to shoot either due to sub zero temperatures, or the never ending sea of brown dirty snow.  

Stephen needed headshots, but he wasn't keen on the usual studio portrait. He needed something a little more rugged and relaxed. We headed to Fish Creek Park.


f/6.3 | 1/125s |ISO 320  Canon 5D Mark III 100mm Macro
This shot is all natural light. I used a soft gold reflector, as I knew I would like a cooler background. When I changed my white balance in post production, the overall image was able to shift cooler.


ISO 320 | f5.0 | 1/100s Canon 5D Mark III, 100mm Macro

This shot is still using natural light, however I used a silver reflector about 20 feet from the subject. 
This allowed a very light fill, with a cooler cast. I did this with the intention of having a warmer background once the white balance was corrected in post production. Compare the top photo to this one.



ISO 320 f/6.0 1/200s 

This shot was taken with a combination of natural light and on camera flash. I used a soft gold reflector on camera left, and shot my flash directly at the subject, as fill light.
I used my flash on ETTL -2/3s. Not only did I use the flash to fill, but also to achieve a balance between the subject and the background. This technique is called key shifting.

Making the best out of the Calgary winters .... 






No comments:

Post a Comment