Friday, August 27, 2010

The Twilight Zone

We're all used to the new, invasive airport routines. Check in hours early. Have your passport. Have your luggage, including your unmentionables, rummaged through. Empty your pockets. Your wallet. Your purse. Your carry on. Take out your laptop. Your camera. Your knife hidden in your shoe... Attempt to find your passport, and boarding pass in your now disastrous carry on luggage. Board your large aircraft with incredibly tiny seats, and incredibly disgusting food. Pay upwards of $7 for a tiny bottle of nerve calming liquid. And lastly, sit back, and relax?

Well here I am, in Trail BC in an airport that has stayed exactly the same since the outdated, 70s furniture first arrived. The flight has been delayed over an hour, and all I did at check in was state my name. The check in lady is cold, and clearly bored with her job. The building honestly isn't any bigger than a one bedroom rancher, with single pained glass, cream colored paint that, most likely, at one point was white, and a few pieces of non-matched furniture likely picked up at the local thrift store.
Everything is OK considering I have my laptop, but the contstant squeek of the little girls running shoes hitting the floor beside me has become a bit of an annoyance. That, combined with the small chatter throughout the room sets a sort of ambiance. There's no kiosk here, and although it is only 10:30 in the morning, a nice cold beer would sure do me good. Or coffee at least.

The small fridge located atop the fabric bar top, which is no longer in use, hosts a sign that reads "Our canteen works by the honor system" followed by a few prices for chocolate bars, and soda pop. Children fight over which snacks they are going to share, following the honor system of course.

And lastly, my backside is starting to hurt, since the only outlet I could find is located behind one of the kids tables. I'm sitting on a seat about half the size of a normal wood chair, with my knees nearly resting at my chin. Apparently they didn't undertand the concept of electronics when this structure was built.

So here I am, waiting for one of the smallest planes I've ever boarded. I'm waiting to literally crawl to my seat, and fly for just over an hour with no drink or snack service. But hey, on the bright side? I don't have to carry my passport. I haven't had any luggage, or body orifices searched. My laptop is allowed to stay intact. And I won't be tempted to spend any money thousands of feet above ground. So, cheers small towns, we need more honor systems.

No comments:

Post a Comment