Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Just Around the Bend on The Sea Wall

As I drove through Stanley Park late this morning, I wish I could have had three hands. I would consider myself to be a safe driver, and unfortunately couldn't bring myself to hold my 3lb camera while behind the wheel. The air quality this morning was bizarre, and quite photogenic. It wasn't quite fog, it wasn't quite mist, but it was heavy whatever it was. Beams of light shot through the forest canopy, piercing the morning gloom. I took a drive until I reached the Northern most section of the seawall where it was about 11am, and the dewy ground finally had a chance to see the light. It was at this opportunity that the Sun decided to work it's magic and turn the dew into heavy air. Bikini can be seen here with this morning's 'fog' in the distance

We walked only a short distance down the seawall, but took in the scenery along the way. The ocean was surprisingly clear today. I would compare it to the waters I've snorkeled in the Caribbean. Clear, sandy, and almost    turquoise in color; both dogs took an interest right away, although Roy appeared to be a little more nervous than Bikini. If it wasn't for my numb hands, I would have seriously considered taking a dip. I still have to keep reminding myself that it is in fact still January, in Canada. This unseasonal weather has me thinking crazy apparently.
As we strolled along the seawall, we came across small trickles of waterfalls, squirrels, seabirds, and giant man made things. Ships the size of small islands seem to effortlessly cruise by. I've always thought Vancouver was a leader in marrying nature's beauty with man's necessities; the planners have sewed them together almost painlessly.
The SeaWall is a great place to be. The scenery changes through five major personalities; Gastown turns into Coal Harbor, which then turns into Stanley Park's rock faces and playful beaches, which then turns into English Bay's vibrant side, followed by Yaletown's trendy wall. It encompasses the entirety of downtown, and has soaked in the personality from all four corners, plus the North Western side which is strictly Stanley Park influence. Some parts are more dog friendly than others. Second Beach for instance is a no-dog zone, while Coal Harbor, Gastown and Yaletown all offer sea-side dog friendly parks.

No comments:

Post a Comment