Thursday, November 4, 2010

Watch the Progression

Why pay for booze, when beer comes free? I originally thought my 11 hour flight to Bejing might be excruciating, but it’s four hours in already. I surprised myself by thinking it was at around the 2 hour mark.


We just flew over Ankorage Alaska. The flight path is pretty cool. We don’t actually fly over the Pacific much at at all. We fly north, up through Alaska, and into the Bering Sea where eventually we’ll fly over Siberia. We’re cruising at over 350,000 feet on a huge air bus. I’m content with my flight so far. I recommend the Yan Jing Beer, free of charge.

All the seats have individual TV screens, so we’re not destined to watch whichever corny comedy, or 3 star Disney movie they provide. I’ve had the pleasure of watching Iron Man 2, and the latest Shrek, which I highly recommend, and How to Tame Your Dragon. Turns out I’d watch both the Disney, and the corny on my own accord anyways… at least I have choice I suppose.

Now at the 7 hour mark, flying just over Siberia now… which looks like a frozen wasteland to be honest. There isn’t a single sign of life below, just frozen tundra. I haven’t slept a wink, but the food was half decent, I had a choice of pork (obviously) and fish. I’m also getting my first dose of language issues. This is the third time in 10 minutes I’ve put on the ‘I need service’ light to ask for a new refreshment, but the message clearly isn’t getting through. Ah, I asked for tea and received green instead of black. Yup, it’s official, I’m not in Kansas anymore.


Yep, the first 6 hours were fine. But we’re now going on 9, with another 2 to go. Oh ya, not to mention the two hour layover in Bejing, followed by another 4.5 hours to Bangkok. The beer is making me burp, and I’m now over that to… It’s almost 10:30 at night back home, but since we’ve been following the light this whole way, it still looks like it might be about 3pm wherever I am in the world. My plan is to sleep slightly on the next flight, but not too much I can’t sleep this evening, when I arrive at 11:45.

 Flying into Bejing is like flying into any other city. While you descend through the haze, one tries to determine whether it’s pollution or light cloud. The surroundings are brown, and the industrial parts of town look like the inside of a computer. The buildings are systematically made to look similar. City blocks are planned to have the same size height and width buildings, making it appear so methodical it almost looks mechanic. There are 4 classic, “Simpson’s” nuclear plant cylinders, a huge super highway that disappears into the ‘haze’, and agriculture. At this point, I can hardly tell what’s what on the ground because of the incredible amount of well, who’s kidding, it’s pollution. The sun’s reflection on what little water I can see is a sickening orange. It’s easily as thick as dispersed fog. I was truly hoping to get a glimpse of the Great Wall from the air, but I can’t see into the distance at all. Next time.


Finally landed in Bangkok. I broke my rule of sleeping the entire way on that next plane, not mention snoozing in Bejing. Now I’m wired, but not quite prepared to venture into the nightlife of Sukhumvit. So, here I stay in the common area of the hostel, loathing having to wake up the other ladies in the room, listening to foreign club music out one window, and barking dogs out the other. Ah, just like any other foreign city. The highway on the way here was very well kept. I counted the amount of broken down cars, trucks or buses. Six total in an $8 cab ride. The electrical work is truly astonishing. I thought I had seen the worst, but I really don’t know how it works. Giant bundles of live wire accumulate at every post, some drooping to head level or lower. The skytrain is truly what us Vancouverites would call a SkyTrain, it looks exactly the same. I’ll take it tomorrow for shits and giggles.


Signing off, from Bangkok.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Alena
    Just talked to your Mom. Sounds like everything is working out just fine!!! And you are on your way to Chiang Mai with 2 girls you met - great - safety in numbers.
    She told me you are planning a hike into the jungle - elephants etc. I am sure you will take some amazing photos. Remember - your camera equipment is equal to two years wages. I'm going to try to figure out how to do skype, a camera and facebook tonight.
    Have fun my adventurous world traveller!
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete